Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Mississippi Mud Pie

My son is afraid I will lose this recipe. I remember how anxiously I looked through my mother's recipe books after she died to find the special ones I loved. Now with the wonder of online blogging I can save this recipe for him and allow you to share it too!
This is the most wonderful chocolate pie you will ever encounter. It's like the Chess Pie in Kentucky, but chocolate flavored. The kind of chocolate you use really makes a difference as do the other ingredients. I have no stock in Ghirardelli, but I would use no other kind. The recipe calls for Ghirardelli Sweet Chocolate, which is not available any longer so I use Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips. You can get them at Walmart.
Be sure and use my mother butter crust recipe:
Here is my MOM's FAMOUS PIE CRUST RECIPE: Sift together 1 cup all purpose flour, 1 teaspoon Watkins Aluminum Free Baking Powder,1 heaping tablespoon of organic sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of salt, then put in 1/2 cup softened organic butter. Cut with a knife, then flour your hands and rub the butter and flour together until thoroughly mixed. Add 1 teaspoon water and mold into a ball. Roll it out and put in the pie pan. I always have to reconstruct this crust in the pie pan as it is not easy to make a butter crust.
This pie only calls for one bottom crust, so after you complete the above steps you are finished with the pie crust part.
Now you need:
4 oz. Ghirardelli Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup butter
3 eggs
3 tablespoons light corn syrup
1 cup sugar (organic sugar is nice)
1 teaspoon Watkins Original Double Strength Vanilla
Pinch salt
In a heavy saucepan or microwave oven, melt chocolate with butter. Beat eggs, mix in corn syrup, sugar and vanilla and salt.
Combine with chocolate mixture. Pour into unbaked pie shell. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 or 40 minutes or until top is cracked and filling is still soft. Cool to room temperature. Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

No comments: